Re-reading the blog, I've found that its been over eight months since I realized t hat I needed to rebuild the outer loop of track.
Well, last weekend I bit the bullet and started ripping it out. I was surprised how quickly I could remove the excess grade while salvaging a remarkable amount of the layout. Over the course of the week I've re-cut the tunnel, installed the framing and the tabletop, sanded the new lane to a - hopefully - smoother gradient and installed the new road bed. Whew!
Now I need to get more paint to cover the road bed and install new track (some of the old track didn't deal too well with being removed).
This was so motivational, I cleared the table and started the prep work for the inside loop. I know what this year's winter project is going to be!